Back to Blog
Practice what I Preach
We all have furniture that has potential and probably needs just a little refreshing and updating. I often recommend painting existing furniture for a quick, inexpensive & stylish result. My grandmother passed down some great solid wood furniture that isn’t quite my style but I’ve always had great plans to refinish it- so here we go!
I will admit, once I start a project I have to finish it in a certain amount of time or else I lose interest really quickly!
So Rust-Oleum Chalked Ultra Matte Paint was the perfect product to transform my dresser and fit my attention span 😬
I began my project on my quartz kitchen counter top 😳 . It’s all good, it’s a fast drying, low VOC latex paint, easy to work with & easy to clean up.
With virtually NO PREP work I started by painting the face of each drawer, eventually getting to the body of the dresser. Super easy and super fast. I was able to apply the clear coat within a couple hours of starting. From start to finish ...2.5 hours done!
A couple things I noticed was I didn’t read the instructions lol, so I probably didn’t wait long enough to apply the clear coat (matte finish). I did notice that the finished look was more grainy after I applied the clear coat. So what I’m trying to say is my clear coat smudged the paint a bit. But it’s ok, I’m still really happy with the result.
I washed the brush with just hot water and wiped up any drips on our floor with a damp cloth, oops must have been rushing...
The cost for this project was less than $65 ( one can paint, one can clear coat) Home Depot.
Back to Blog
Today, we Hung a gallery in my freshly painted foyer hall, got my inspiration from EthanAllen.ca. I hang artwork all day, everyday but usually one or two singular pieces here and there, nothing as elaborate as my new feature wall. Don’t get me wrong, there’s nothing super extraordinary about what I did but it does take time, patience and the right tools to make it perfect.
First we ( we=my son Ethan ( who which I actually wanted to give him the middle name Allen, true story) and I) checked that all the mounting brackets on the back of each frame was roughly in the same spot, we hung a group of 8.
Then we measured and taped out where the new console cabinet ( still on order ) would go in respect to the floor vent and center with the overhead light.
Oh no!! challenge...the floor vent! Who put that there? Ok whatever, slight oversight, we reworked the “Center” and began to hang the first print. I thought I could use that handy dandy quick picture hanger, you know that yellow thing you see on FB - yah🤔, didn"t work, not for this project. Maybe for two pictures stacked or even three in a row but it was slightly ( totally) inaccurate.
Back to the drawing board. Wait! Ethan had made a good suggestion earlier, wish I would have listened in the first place before I tried to cut corners and put a million holes in the wall. Chalk Line! Yep, easy solution and very handy tool. I'm going to admit that I have never used a chalk line before to hang pictures but wow, this was easy. We made a grid and measured where the nails would go. I used a 2" gap horizontally and a 1.5" gap vertically. The result was perfect! Can't wait to see it altogether with the new cabinet.
Thx Eth! You taught an old dog, an old trick...but new to me;)
Back to Blog
Happy 2018 everyone!
I thought I would start a new Blog this year called "Practice what I Preach" My plan is to learn, implement and complete small projects around the house that I, as a professional Stager have recommended to my clients. Come to think about it, this actually may be my one and only task and blog...lol guess we'll see how it goes.
Ok, so as a decorator I like to experiment and change it up often in my house, (insert- family members roll eyes). I decided my feature foyer wall needed an update and there began my journey.
It's official! Wallpaper is a pain in the &#% to remove! Many of you have had the pleasure of hearing myself or another professional stager suggest removing wallpaper before selling. Yikes! Easier said than done- admitted:)
Actually, the paper came off relatively easy with a little steam, maybe 10 minutes tops, and all in big sheets with very little scraps left behind. So whats so difficult you say? It's all that sticky, yellowed glue left behind on the wall that's the problem! You absolutely need to prepare the wall properly again before you paint ( which is my plan) but maybe not so much if you are doing a textured treatment or more wallpaper...
Thank you Google...hot water and a splash of dish soap. It works but you have to keep rinsing the water and going over the spots to loosen and wipe away the glue residue. I used a two sided sponge, one side smooth, the other, abrasive. Time consuming yes, but worth the result and money saved doing it myself, right.
Hmmm...my arm hurts, I need to research another way, something faster that requires less elbow grease.
YES! Drywall Knife, too bad it took me an hour to figure that one out...duh. Anyway, I continued to wipe the wall to soften the residue and presto! In no time at all the walls looked perfectly smooth and clean for a fresh coat of paint- not so bad after all!
The moral of my story is...
1. wallpaper is no fun to remove
2. lots of coffee and wine may be consumed
3. could always hire a pro
4. a potential buyer knows how "un-fun" it is too, so if you have old dated or damaged wallpaper REMOVE IT - it will pay off!